Sunday, April 17, 2011

Short Poem on Crucifixion

The following is a short poem by Horatius Bonar, a Scottish hymn writer who lived from 1808 to 1889. This is fitting, I think, as we enter Holy Week.

'Twas I that shed the sacred blood;
   I nailed him to the tree;
I crucified the Christ of God;
   I joined the mockery.


Of all that shouting multitude
   I feel that I am one; 
And in that din of voices rude
   I recognize my own.


Around the cross the throng I see,
   Mocking the Sufferer's groan;
Yet still my voice it seems to be,
   As if I mocked alone.

Here also is a song in this vein by Christian hip-hop artist Shai Linne.  He has a whole album called "The Atonement", which of course deals with the atonement at the cross, and this particular song is convicting to me.  It is called, "Were You There?"



Finally, God forbid that I should boast of anything but the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
(Galatians 6:14 NEB)

No comments:

Post a Comment