Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Simple Call - Through Death to Life

"For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." (Romans 8:13)

"Be holy as I am holy." (1 Peter 1:16)

"You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

This will be a simple entry. It is a call, brothers and sisters, simply to hate our sinfulness. My sin, too often, becomes an abstract thing to me, as I put it quickly within my mental theological construction. I talk of my sinfulness often, but I do it in a sanitized way, and I do it mainly as a piece of the puzzle to help explain the world to others. And to get them to look at their own sin, as I effectively ignore my own.

But my sin is killing me, and your sin is killing you. John Owen wrote, "Be killing sin, or it will be killing you." I have noticed some things that my sin does...

1) It belittles God's glory. It says, "This thing here is better than God." How dishonoring to a perfect holy God!

2) It saps my energy for ministry.

3) It make me doubt God - whether he is real and whether he can deliver me from these sins.

4) It leads to a deafening of my ears to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

5) It renders me fruitless, and in my fruitlessness my relationships are strained. Instead of peace, I bring anger. Instead of patience, I bring selfishness. Instead of joy, I bring sullenness and guilt.

6) It lies to me telling me my sins are small, telling me I might as well give in because God will forgive, telling me that I am better than other people whose sins are worse, telling me sometimes that I am worse than everyone else, telling me sometimes that perhaps God will not forgive. In my sin, I really see how I have traded in the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature, rather than the Creator.

7) I am wounding the lover of my soul, our future Husband, Jesus Christ. Every sin is a sin of betrayal, as I prostitute myself out to other lovers. Jesus, take my whole heart!

These are a small handful of the reasons why God hates sin. And he calls us to perfection, which seems an impossibility, but I think he calls to that because when I set my heart on mortifying, killing my sins with the power of the Spirit, my heart must want it all gone - no survivors. Any sin, however small, that I harbor, is like harboring a traitor to my God. So to settle for anything less than holiness, to stop short and give up, settling for some "smaller" measures of sin, is to prove myself a traitor. And my procrastination to deal harshly with my flesh is itself a sin.

I write this entry as a personal wake-up call to myself and to you. God hates my sin! God hates your sin. He died to save us from it, to forgive us, to cleanse us, to make us new, and to bring us into his family. By being united to Christ, we receive forgiveness, and his wrath is taken from us, being absorbed by Christ on the cross. But even now, with God's wrath removed, he so greatly wants for us to lean heavily into this process of becoming like Christ, of becoming holy. That is the only way to life. Killing the sin within is a war worth fighting, and it is for our good. It is for our joy, and it is for his glory. As we choose holiness over sin, we declare the worth of our Savior and Creator! As long as the list is of the reasons that sin is bad, the other list - of the reasons that God and pursuit of his holiness is good - is so much longer!

To God alone be the glory! May his grace and peace rest on you! And may you become more deeply acquainted with God the Spirit, who indwells you, as you lean into his power, becoming partners in this most necessary of endeavors, the slaying of your flesh, for your joy and for his glory.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that you described Christ as the bride. If it helps you that way, I guess that's okay. Although, as weird as it is for us males, Christ is definitely the man in this relationship. We are supposed to be submissive to Him as a wife should submit to us. Even though it is quite weird, I like calling Christ my husband because it reminds me of the role I need to have in the relationship.

    That is a good list of what sin does. Sin separates us from Yahweh who is: Joy, peace, life, love(agape and philadelphia), hope, strength, righteousness, faithfulness, goodness,and faith.

    While I hate my sin, I will not hide it. For as Christ says, "Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God." This is why I must confess my sin and weakness, so that those can see God in me, and easily, without any effort separate God from my flesh. I pray that people can see my good works and will turn and praise my Father in heaven for this reason.

    Keep going on the good path. Peace and love be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! That is absolutely what I meant. I have corrected that within the entry. Thank you for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not the first time I have messed up words before. Let me tell a couple of quick anecdotes...

    1) When I was in high school, I did not go to many dances, so I hope you will forgive my lacking knowledge of the terminology. I was in a van with a group of students of my church youth group, including the girl I was taking to the Homecoming dance my Senior year. I knew I needed to get her a flower for her hand; what I didn't know was that it was called a corsage. I asked her in front of everyone, "Would you like for me to get you a corset?" And then I learned that those were two totally different things.

    2) This is a free one at my expense. Nicole likes to tell this one... She and I were at a wedding up at Covenant College on Lookout Mountain. We were in the reception in a rather long hall in one of the first buildings on campus. Well, she went to the restroom, and when she came out she was a decent ways away across the room. But I was struck by how amazing she looked; my eyes were drawn to her from across the room. I proceeded to tell her when we came together, "Nicole, you look beautiful from far away!" Ummmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. D-Money...It's funny b/c i just kinda wrote something similar as far as looking at our sin and actively engaging in it's destruction by picking up our sword(scripture) and taking the fight to it. We should be doing everything with Christ's power He's given us through the Holy Spirit to wage war in this life against sin. Love you, brother. Thanks for the encouragement.
    TD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to do this on this blog, but do you know 4 levels of Big for K? We know the first 2, Ken Tan and David Chong. Who was Chong's big and big big?

    ReplyDelete