Saturday, February 19, 2011

Some Old Revivalists




This video reminds me of Piper's talk at Passion this year when he asked the question, "Do you feel more loved by God because he makes much of you or because he enables you to make much of him?" The world - and God's designs for it - is not mainly about us; it is mainly about God and his glory. Our salvation itself is about God's glory! But oh, how sweet are the rewards for us in his divine design, in which he has chosen to glorify Christ by having us be united to him by his death and resurrection.

Is God the end for you? Or is he the means to some other other end? Is God the means to health, wealth, and prosperity? Or more subtly, is God simply the means to your forgiveness, salvation, joy, and peace? Any good thing, even God's good gifts, can become an idol if it takes the place of God and becomes ultimate in your life; God alone is the ultimate end. God's glory and his grace are seen in this: by Christ's reconciling death, God has become both the means and the end.


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. (Ephesians 1:3-6)
Below is a video of Leonard Ravenhill on the judgment seat of Christ.


Finally, below is a video that my pastor directed me to. It is a powerful compilation of old revival preachers, and their message is one that flattens me. I really do pray that my providing this link might be a means of grace to you, that you would set aside half an hour, enter it with an attitude of prayer and humility of heart, and let the Spirit of God speak to you. I pray for revival in my own heart, that I would see Christ as glorious and die to my sin to live for him. I pray that for you as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment