Thursday, June 9, 2011

Living the Surrendered Life

I think it is good to have heroes in the faith. Hebrews 11 is a list of heroes in the faith. Of course, we do not want to idolize anyone, but I very much want to be like those who really follow Christ and give themselves fully to him.

I have a handful of people who have been very influential in my life and spiritual development. Those most influential would be my father and mother, both who exemplify Christ-like love. I am so blessed! And in the last several years, my brother's walk has challenged me greatly. Others on this list would be David Blevins, Jonathan Baggett, Michael Gilbert, and my fiance, Nicole.

Thomas Queen and his wife and daughter are here on this podcast. I call him Coach Queen, and without going into much detail, I will say that my view of God is bigger because of Coach, and my decision to be a teacher is due in a non-trivial way to Coach's example of the type of difference a teacher can make in the lives of youth like me. Coach is one of my heroes. Coach and his family have been very blessed materially as measured by this world, and for the sake of the advancement of the Gospel, they are rejecting the American Dream in favor of eternal significance, giving up much of what they have amassed. This has included the sale of their awesome house to be able to really follow God wherever he calls them. Anyway, they can tell it better than me... This is their message to our church in which they invite accountability for themselves and also issue quite a challenge to our comfortable sensibilities.

Don't listen to this unless you really want God to mess you up for your good and his glory! (There is a bit of music and preamble to get to their message, but not too much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment