Saturday, April 28, 2012

Is the Bible Reliable?

I recently found a link to this website and have been perusing the material.  I definitely recommend it.  Many of today's skeptics about the reliability of the Bible will rest on the authority of skeptics with degrees like Bart Ehrman.  He casts doubts on whether we can get back to what the original writers of the Bible actually said since we do not have the original manuscripts.  Are we able to reliably reconstruct what they said?  Before you can really get into the website, there is a lengthy two hour debate between Ehrman and Dan Wallace, a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary.  It is interesting, but I actually really like the website once you get into it. 

Spanning the course of Dr. Ehrman's more popular written works, the website asks pertinent questions and then gives short 3-7 minute videos of other more conservative Biblical scholars and theologians to give answers to Ehrman's doubts.  I find this to be just highly interesting first of all, but it is also strengthening to my faith.  I think I sometimes feel doubts just because of how far removed we are from the first century, and they are doubts that I don't always take the time to address head-on.  And I think that this is good seed for future conversations that you may get into with people who doubt the Bible.  We should be able to give a reason for the hope that is within us, and insofar as that hope rests on the Bible, we should be able to give good reasons for why we trust the Bible. 

I hope that this resource may be used profitably by you.  Let us thank God for speaking to us through his Word; we can trust his Word because He is trustworthy.  Soli Deo gloria!

http://ehrmanproject.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment