Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Soul's Prayer

My soul thirsts for God, for the Living God.  (Psalm 42:2)

God, in the midst of our busy-ness, in the midst of our difficulties, in the midst of our doubts, in the midst of our discussions, in the midst of our Christian living, in the midst of our relationships, in the midst of our duties, in the midst of our joys, draw us near.  Do not let us forget that you are most important.  Do not let us forget your love.  Do not let us forget your cross.  Do not let us forget your grace.  Do not let us forget our need for you.  Draw us mightily and bind us to your heart.  Grant repentance where our hearts have been hard.  Grant obedience where we have chosen ourselves over you.  God, help me to value you over every other thing.  Help me to worship you as supreme.  

God, how can I live apart from you?

God, what wisdom do I have of my own?  None.

God, how could I repay you?  I cannot.

God, I place my trust in you.  I trust you for my eternity.  And I trust you for tomorrow.  And I trust you in this moment.  Your sovereign hands are hands of love, and you hold me unshake-ably, and you are a strong refuge for me when my heart quakes.  My trust in you, O Lord, is well-placed.  

God, strengthen me to do your will for your glory.  Strengthen me and keep me dependent on your Spirit for my fight against sin.  Strengthen my trust in your Word.  I am weak.  Lord, you are my strength.  

God, pierce my heart with longing for you.  Awaken my soul to cry for you.  Do not let my heart sleep.  Do not let me slumber when I might enjoy your presence.  Banish apathy from my heart, and banish laziness from my hands and feet.  Bid me to come to you.  Bid me to run to you.  Bid me to come, and give me ears to hear your call.  Give my heart a desire to run that it did not have in its deadness.  Thank you Lord for giving me life, abundant life, and may your Spirit help me to keep from wasting it.  Lord, my life will be not be waste if it is kept in your sweet Presence.  Oh, Lord, that I might know you more.  I would know anything less, if I might know you more.  

Grant that these prayers would issue from a believing heart in sincerity.  I offer these prayers in Jesus name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment