Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Momma

I am who I am because of my mother and father.  Their spiritual influence has been bigger than I can calculate.  My dad was saved when my mom was pregnant with me.  Before that he had grown up and been in church, but his faith became real around that time.  My mom's faith has been in place since she was little, and if I can remember rightly she got saved while watching a Billy Graham Crusade.  I am sure that my dad would not be where he is today without my mom.  And I would not be where I am - in multiple senses - without the both of them.

I am grateful that my mom stayed at home while I grew up.  She worked a handful of years as a para-pro.  But for the most part she has found it a joy to raise children and keep a home well.  She has not, as far as I can tell, ever resented this.  But she has cherished this role and done it very well over the years.  She has consistently loved my Dad and made it look easy.  My brother and I are better off in more ways than we know because our mom took this time with us and did so with joy.  We were never a nuisance or a side-show in bigger things she had going on; we were loved well.  Mildly spoiled, yes, but raised to love the Lord and to do right. 

My mom doesn't know the Pythagorean Theorem, probably, and she would not be one to argue theology.  But she knows what she believes, and she lives on the basis of that conviction.  Her strong faith is an anchor, and she does a lot of good in a quiet way, blessing many in the Dalton community, in the Grove Level family, and in our own family.  My mom prays and believes the Bible.  She reads it.  And she does what it requires.  Love your God and love your neighbors.  This is a humble and enduring legacy.

I put a lot of stock in worldviews.  I learned a lot in David Blevins worldview class.  But I did not learn and adopt a Christian worldview from David Blevins.  I learned a Christian worldview from my Mom and Dad.  And I was around my Mom more often early on.  I am so grateful for the way I have been shaped by this influence. 

It is such a joy to write on such a topic as this. My mom is amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment